Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2011

" More About Alzheimers!"

   I was telling about some of my experiences  with my husband , and his alzeimers.  There was a lot of strange moments durring this segmant of our life together.  As I said before ,at first, I was unaware that he had anything wrong with him. He had always had his crazy moments and his bad temper.  So he could be hallarious, or violent.  But as the disease progressed , he began doing strange things , like forgetting what kind of car we had.  He was sure it was  supposed to be an old model T that his father had.  He couldn't understand what  the car was sitting in the driveway, It was a" Geo Metro",  He kept insisting that when his Dad got home,  he was going to be in trouble because the car was missing,and wanted me to call the Police.  First of all his Dad  died before I ever met him, so I never met him. Well just to appease him I pretended to call the Police to report it missing.  After about an hour he totally forgot about it, thank God ,because i was getting tired of telling him that they would be coming over shortly to ask him about the car.   That was just 1 of many episodes. 
   Oh yes and keep track of everything , and I mean everything, Alzheimer patients , are very much like children most of the time, but they usually  know in the back of their mind that they are adults.   I had to keep all meds , even vitamins hidden, he would take any pills  he could find, thinking they were the ones his doctor prescribed.  He took heart ,bloodpressure,as well as other meds.    More than once he would get very aggravated with me because i wouldn't let him take his meds by himself. I couldn't  he would have killed himself. 
    Do not let them go anywhere by themself.  They will get lost .  He managed to get out one day and my neighbor saw him in his driveway.  He called him  and asked him if he needed something,  Ralph answered yes , my wife Mildred,  Well when Gerry saw me the next day he asked me who Mildred was.  I just said his first wife.  But Gerry knew that he was ill so he just sort of chuckled.  So after that anytime he managed to escape my neighbors would just walk him back to the house.  Didn't happen often. After that first time, I watched  him carefully.
    Oh yes and if you have any firearms in your home get rid of them...   He loved hunting, one day when he thought I was his mother he picked up the broom and headed for the door  looked at me, said "I'm going to go get us a rabbit for dinner."He thought he had his rifle and was going hunting.  Well I realized that we had better keep all rifles at someone elses house.  So I told Rob and Chris  not to bring any home .At any rate I told him  that I already had dinner cooking so he didn't need to go and i took the broom and put it away.  There are a lot more things that i will tell you about in another blog.  Thank you for reading my blogs . Be happy and Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment